Since 1897HISTORY

Initially formed as the Yarrawonga Golf Club in 1897, the Yarrawonga Mulwala Golf Club Resort has a long and interesting history. This is documented in The History Of The Yarrawonga & Border Golf Club, 1897 – 1997, which is available for purchase from the Club at a cost of $15.00. To follow is a summary of key developments at the Club.

1897

The Club was first established, playing at the racecourse in Yarrawonga. The inaugural club president was Mr. John McNamara.

CLUB INCEPTION
1903

The first ladies competition was introduced to the Club.

1912

There were 82 club members; 35 men and 47 ladies.

history1
1914

1914 to 1918 Due to the world-wide upheaval through the war, there were no interclub contests and the annual open tournament was cancelled.

1921

The Club affiliated with the V.G.A and the V.L.G.A. At the annual meeting it was determined that no person may become a member of the Club unless approved by the Committee.

1922

Introduction of casual members.

history2
1923

A proposal was put to the Committee to consider a golf course on the sand rises across the bridge in N.S.W.