Initially formed as the Yarrawonga Golf Club in 1897, the Yarrawonga Mulwala Golf Club Resort has a long and interesting history. This is documented in The History Of The Yarrawonga & Border Golf Club, 1897 – 1997, which is available for purchase from the Club at a cost of $15.00. To follow is a summary of key developments at the Club.
1897 – The Club was first established, playing at the racecourse in Yarrawonga. The inaugural club president was Mr. John McNamara.
1903 – The first ladies competition was introduced to the Club.
1912 – There were 82 club members; 35 men and 47 ladies.
1914 to 1918 – Due to the world-wide upheaval through the war, there were no interclub contests and the annual open tournament was cancelled.
1921 – The Club affiliated with the V.G.A and the V.L.G.A. At the annual meeting it was determined that no person may become a member of the Club unless approved by the Committee.
1922 – Introduction of casual members.
1923 – A proposal was put to the Committee to consider a golf course on the sand rises across the bridge in N.S.W.
1924 – The Club joined the newly formed North Eastern District Golf Association.
1926 – Arrangements were made with J.W.A. Scott, a golf coach, for his professional services.
1926 – A Ladies Committee was formed.
1927 – At a special general meeting it was agreed to purchase approx. 100 acres in Mulwala for a new 18 hole Golf Links course with sand scrape greens. The purchase was completed and the new course laid out within approx. 3 months.
1928 – The name was changed to Yarrawonga & Border Golf Club
1929 – Membership numbers now totaled 129.
1932 – Erection of a clubhouse (known as the “Kipsey”) commenced on the rise by the first tee, which is now the present sight of ClubMulwala.
1940 – The first grounds man was appointed, Mr. Warburton.
1942 – The Club purchased 9 acres of unused roads which had divided the club’s property.
1943 – At the annual meeting it was noted that a great part of the income came from agistment and the grazing of sheep, which had helped in the expense of keeping the fairways in reasonable order.
1949 – Installation of a pump at the nearby lagoon and commencement of laying pipes to bring water to the course.
1950 – The annual meeting date changed from March to October.
The New Clubhouse
1952 – The new clubhouse was completed (at the present site) with spacious lounge, dressing rooms, secretary’s office, kitchen and liquor bar at a cost of over £5,000. A full liquor license was granted.
1953 – The annual tournament attracted the largest entry in the history of the club with 93 women and 96 men.
1954 – As the course was only playable during the winter months it was decided to form a bowling section and have a bowling green laid.
1955 – The first poker machines were installed.
1956 – The official opening of the new bowling green.
1959 – Opening of the new Berriman Course, PAR 73, with grass greens and a distance of 6784 yards.
1961 – House rules were introduced relating to: attire in the clubhouse, member conduct and visitors to be in the company of a member.
1965 – Approval was granted for ladies to wear shorts or slacks on the golf course, rather than long skirts.
1967 – Golf is now played all-year round thanks to improved irrigation and the ability to water the course during summer.
1969 – Phillip Droop took up position as Club Professional.
1972 – The biggest annual tournament to date with 887 players from 54 clubs as far away as Tasmania.
1972 – Incorporation of the Club into a Company on 28th September, so the Council then became the Board of Directors. Membership numbers were 1132.
1977 – Lady members were entitled to vote for the first time.
1978 – The first of the accommodation units began operation.
1980 – Work commenced on the third nine – the new 27 holes to be known as the Blue, Red and Gold nines.
1980 – The Friday Lucky Numbers raffle commenced.
1981 – Further accommodation units were built, now totaling 32 and with an occupancy rate of 83%.
1981 – The first Lady member was elected to the Board.
1982 – Tony Elliott joined as a partner to the Pro Shop.
1983 – Further clubhouse extensions and another bank of motel units, now totaling 40 units.
3 Golf Courses
1985 – Construction of the Murray Course commenced, designed by Wolveridge and Thompson, as well as the Croquet greens.
1986 – One hundred years of golf in Yarrawonga and Mulwala was celebrated and the magnificent new $1.2 million, 18 hole Murray Course officially opened – giving the Club a total of 45 holes (the only one in Australasia).
1987 – Further Clubhouse renovations including the establishment of the Border Bistro and the casino room.
1991 – Completion of the new Pro Shop and members buggy storage rooms. Eleven more accommodation units were built. This year was the introduction of poker machines in Victoria.
1993 – $2.5 million clubhouse extensions including a secure cash room, more functional administration area, better storage areas and the Sand Wedge Bar were completed.
1996 – There were 4841 members and a total of 123 staff.
2005 – Construction of the Greenside Terrace, overlooking the bowling greens, prior to the introduction of full no-smoking legislation in the clubhouse in 2007.
2007 – Change over of eight original cabins to four luxury 3-bedroom villa style accommodation.
2008 – Construction of a $1 million multi-purpose facility between the clubhouse and Pro Shop for a gym and related professional services.